Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Papad Ka Jhol


This gravy is very easy to cook for the people who know this but I have also seen some people bit shocked with the name of “Papad ki Sabji” and I have often heard them saying "Is there a sabji of Papad as well". I generally go for this gravy when I don’t have any fresh vegetables in my refrigerator. So here is the simple and plain “Papad ka jhol”.  Jhol is a Rajasthani  word and it means gravy.
Ingredients: Papad 2-3,  Onion 1 medium size, Tomato 1 medium size, turmeric Powder 1 tsp, Coriander Powder, Cumin seeds 1 tsp, Red  Chili Powder per taste, Salt per taste, Oil 1 tbsp.
Method: Dry Roast the papads directly on flame and break into big pieces. In a pan heat oil and splutter the cumin seeds. Add the chopped onions and when the onions are translucent, add all the dry masala powders. When the masala starts leaving the oil, add the chopped tomato. Once the tomato is  little tender, add 2 cups water and bring the gravy to boil. Add the papad pieces and let the gravy simmer for next five minutes on low heat.  Garnish the papad  jhol  with coriander leaves and enjoy with chapattis.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing a very good job Anju. We almost forgot about papad ka jhol, Kartik used to love it. I'm going to make it today. I also made your potato-less pav bhaji yesterday with left over veggies, it was yum. I also made gatte last week. The thing is you keep forgetting things over time, and its easy enough to remember them if you have a blog handy.
    Please post recipe of bharva gatte also.
    Mamta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Your comments are a great source of encouragement for me.