Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Aloo ka Halwa

Yesterday I was invited to a friend’s house for Navratri Pooja. First I started preparing a fruit basket for Prasad but then came the idea of preparing some vrat food that can also make entry in my Falahar special series. I tried remembering the other dishes that my mom use to make and a two minute flash back play of childhood days was enough to bring this dish back to my memory. Below mentioned ratio is for 2-3 people.
Ingredients: 7-8 Boiled potato, ½ cup milk, sugar 1/3 cup or per taste, ghee 3 tbsp, 6-7 crushed cardamom, 7-8 saffron flakes,  ½ cup chopped mix of almonds, cashews, 8-10 raisins.
Method: Grate or mash the boiled potato and keep aside. Soak the saffron flakes in milk and keep aside. In a pan heat ghee and add the grated potato. On medium flame roast the potato for 10 minutes or till the time potato starts leaving ghee and changes a color and aroma. Make sure to stir potato continuously while roasting to ensure even roasting of potato. When the potatoes are well cooked with ghee, add sugar dry fruits, cardamom and milk with saffron flakes and mix properly. Let the halwa cook for another 5 minutes and make sure to stir it. Garnish the halwa with dry fruits.

8 comments:

  1. wow ,aloo ka halwa ..sounds really interesting ...looks delicious Anju

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot about this aloo halwa but never got a chance to try it..your dish looks really appetizing n tempting me to try it out..:)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. divine halwa...looks super delcious...cute presentation...
    first time here...u hv a lovley space..visit mine as time permits...following u...betn r u a rajput by any chance..
    sanyukta gour(bayes)
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've never had a hawla made of potatoes! What a great and original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can vouch for the taste of this halwa ..... yeah I was lucky to taste it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love potato halwa very much, great looking halwa..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Halwa was good...like the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks anju, i really nedded this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Your comments are a great source of encouragement for me.